Ask for response in homeassistant call service integration

Describe the problem/error/question

I want to call a service via homeassistant integration. However, when I call weather.get_forecast, it gives me 500 error. In homeassistant logs i can see:
ValueError: Service call requires responses but caller did not ask for responses
Folks from HA discords says it’s problems with n8n
How to get that response? Other calls, like button.press works fine

What is the error message (if any)?

ERROR: The service was not able to process your request

500 - “500 Internal Server Error\n\nServer got itself in trouble” - 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

500 - “500 Internal Server Error\n\nServer got itself in trouble” - 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble

NodeApiError: The service was not able to process your request
    at Object.homeAssistantApiRequest (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/HomeAssistant/GenericFunctions.js:27:15)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:95:5)
    at Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/HomeAssistant/HomeAssistant.node.js:185:40)
    at Workflow.runNode (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/Workflow.js:658:19)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/WorkflowExecute.js:631:53

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.8.2
  • Database (default: SQLite): postgres
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): ?
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system: debian

Hi @Paduber, welcome to the community!

I am sorry you’re having trouble, I shall set up a home assistant instance and will have a closer look as soon as possible. Can I assume that you are using the latest version of HA?

So it appears a few other services are seeing this too (node-red for example) So this doesn’t seem to be a problem with n8n specifically but rather with Home Assistant having undergone a significant change. Not all endpoints exposed by their API have received support for response data which seems to be required by this service. The Home Assistant team has also acknowledged this as a bug and have a linked pull request for this:

So my suggestion here would be to downgrade to a Home Assistant version before HA 2023.7.0, and only upgrade once they have added the functionality to their REST API (which is how n8n interacts with Home Assistant).

3 Likes