Best way to deal with html entities?

I’ve been trying to decode the various things like ’ scattered through my text, but using the entities library gives an access denied error. Is there no way to handle this in n8n other than replacing each one with regex?

Welcome to the community @HealBot!

n8n has currently sadly nothing built-in for that.

You can however use external libraries in the Function-Node by setting the environment variable: NODE_FUNCTION_ALLOW_EXTERNAL

You can find more information about it here:

I added export NODE_FUNCTION_ALLOW_EXTERNAL=entities to .bashrc and rebooted. I see it in the list. It’s still giving access denied error in the function. Am I doing something wrong?

Depends how you start n8n. Is the environment variable really set for in the terminal n8n gets started from? Because if so it should work. In the case you run n8n for example in Docker, it would have to be set separately.

The issue was with pm2. I just used --update-env and that fixed the issue. Everything is working great now. I just got started but it seems like n8n is everything I was looking for in a ifttt replacement. Thank you for the help and the great tool. I will surely be back later with more noobish questions or suggestions once I’m in a little deeper.

Ah really great to hear that you found the issue and you enjoy n8n!

Sure always happy to help. Have fun and talk with you soon!