BUG: http node - JSON Response Headers & Status no longer working in 0.201.0

Describe the issue/error/question

After upgrading to 0.201.0, the http node no longer returns the response headers from the QuickBooks Online API. Not sure if it’s affecting other APIs as well. I verified the issue by downgrading to 0.200.1.

This makes it impossible to troubleshoot issues with my API queries since I can’t get the details of what’s wrong with my request.

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share the workflow

Can’t share this one but you can verify it by making an invalid HTTP request to the QBO API from the HTTP ndoe

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.201.0
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: own
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: K8s

Hey @joeldeteves,

Did it not have anything useful in the details? @RicardoE105 any ideas on what is going on?

Hey Jon, that is the issue - 0.200.1 shows me the details I need, but in 0.201.0, those details don’t show up (the two screenshots show the difference in output).

EDIT: Also when i expand details, there is nothing useful in there (same behaviour the previous version shows the correct error response from the QBO API)

Hey @joeldeteves,

Sorry I meant if you click on the Details text at the bottom you sometimes get more information. When I am using the HTTP Request node though I tend to prefer checking the Never error box as well which then outputs the data so I can manually check the status code and get more meaningful output.

Interesting Jon, it does seem that “Never error” outputs the information I need:

I suppose I will use that to troubleshoot, but it’s interesting how it n8n no longer picks it up from the standard error response (also, it’s not the best solution because the workflow should fail if there is an error in the response)

Hey @joeldeteves,

What I tend to do is after an HTTP Request node check the status code if it isn’t a 200 or another “success” code I use a stop and error node so I get the same thing with the workflow stopping but I have a lot more control over the error.

1 Like

No changes in the HTTP node would cause this. It seems that we made a change to the way we handle the errors shown in the UI.

packages/workflow/src/NodeErrors.ts

Is it possible to have the same behaviour as before?

It was nice to not have to build in extra error handling flow and also be able to see the error details at a quick glance.

I think we are gonna reverse the change as this change of behavior was not intended. Will keep you posted.

Hey @joeldeteves Thanks for reporting this.
It’ll be fixed in fix (HTTP Request node): show error cause in the output by netroy · Pull Request #4538 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

3 Likes

Got released with [email protected]

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.