Can I inherit your httpRequest node and edit my own custom node?

Describe the issue/error/question

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share the workflow

(Select the nodes and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow respectively)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version:0.209.2
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite):
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:

Hi @Tk8and15, I don’t think inheriting nodes is possible, but since the n8n source is freely available you can technically just look at the code of our built-in nodes and re-use it in your own node. The HTTP Request node lives at n8n/packages/nodes-base/nodes/HttpRequest at master · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

Thank you my friend, I have already started.

I want to ask, can all nodes in n8n inherit?

I don’t know tbh, as I have never tried this. I am not a node developer though (the few nodes I put my hands on didn’t inherit other nodes) so maybe @marcus knows more on this once he’s back next year.

You can definitely extend credentials from other credentials. This is what we do with Google Sheets for example, these extend the default Google credentials.

Hi @Tk8and15,
though theoretically possible I am not aware of any n8n node that extends/inherits another existing nodes and I have never tried it myself.

If you want to create your own custom node based on the HttpRequest node you could just copy/paste it’s source code into your custom node folder and give it a unique name and displayName. Did you try that and is it working?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.