- N8N_SMTP_PASS="right_pass"
  - N8N_SMTP_SENDER="n8n automation service GPBI"
  - N8N_SMTP_SSL=true
  • n8n version:0.178.0
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite):PG13
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]:Docker behind nginx

Please tell me where I was wrong with setup
Thnx

Hey @Konstantin, I think a valid Yandex configuration (once you’ve enabled SMTP as described in their docs) would look like so:

N8N_EMAIL_MODE=smtp
N8N_SMTP_HOST=smtp.yandex.com
N8N_SMTP_PORT=465
[email protected]
N8N_SMTP_PASS=myAppPassword
[email protected]
N8N_SMTP_SSL=true

That said, when I tried this, Yandex’ SMTP server rejected the invitations sent by n8n:

2022-05-25T09:03:12.051Z | error    | Failed to send email {"recipients":"[email protected]","error":{"code":"EMESSAGE","response":"554 5.7.1 Message rejected under suspicion of SPAM; https://ya.cc/1IrBc 1653469390-HJ9Eb4DLIS-3AKC8sjP","responseCode":554,"command":"DATA"},"file":"NodeMailer.js","function":"sendMail"}

This response “Message rejected under suspicion of SPAM” is coming from Yandex and I don’t think this problem could be addressed from n8n’s end unfortunately. Yandex simply doesn’t seem to like automated messages :frowning:

So you might want to consider an alternative email provider for use with n8n or manually accept new users without an email being sent as suggested here: [User Management] How to invite users with SSL-less/unauthenticated SMTP server? - Questions - n8n

1 Like

Hey, @MutedJam!
Thanks for quick answer
Perhaps, I’ll use another mail server
Yandex - not the best for automation mailing
Have a nice day! :hugs:

1 Like

You are most welcome.

Tbf, I don’t speak Russian so couldn’t fully understand the help page provided by Yandex: Борьба со спамом - Почта. Справка

Perhaps their support can further assist you and whitelist such messages. There is also a chance they might not identify your messages as spam if you use your mailbox more regularly than I do once you have configured the SMTP settings I have shared above.

If you want to try it, you might want to set the N8N_LOG_LEVEL=debug environment variable to get the maximum possible logging output on your server.

1 Like

Yep, Yandex tell us bye-bye with automated messages
So, I’ll made own internal mail server and use it
Thank You once again and have a nice day!

1 Like

Awesome, have a great day as well!

This is strange but I have same error with my own exim server
I can telnet to 25 port from machine and from docker container to server but have this
error | Failed to send email {"recipients":"[email protected]","error":{"errno":-3008,"code":"EDNS","syscall":"getaddrinfo","hostname":"\"exim_ip\"","command":"CONN"},"file":"NodeMailer.js","function":"sendMail"}

Docker-compose params here:
- N8N_EMAIL_MODE=smtp
- N8N_SMTP_HOST=“exim_ip”
- N8N_SMTP_PORT=“25”
- N8N_SMTP_USER=“[email protected]_server”
- N8N_SMTP_PASS=“pass”
- N8N_SMTP_SENDER=“n8n automation service GPBI”
- N8N_SMTP_SSL=false

Hey @Konstantin , I have not seen this particular error coming from NodeMailer, but I could find this information:

(…) Unfortunately, the error code -3008 is represented as “Unknown error”. My guess is that the error code comes from somewhere else than the getaddrinfo function, perhaps some underlying system call (…)

So unfortunately I can’t quite tell what’s wrong here. Just out of curiosity, could you test this using an email provider like Sendgrid? That was the provider I have used for n8n user management and it worked fine using a configuration like this:

- N8N_EMAIL_MODE=smtp
- N8N_SMTP_HOST=smtp.sendgrid.net
- N8N_SMTP_USER=apikey
- N8N_SMTP_PASS=myTopSecretPassword
- [email protected]
- N8N_SMTP_PORT=465

This should at least tell us if it’s just n8n not liking your SMTP server or if there’s something outside of n8n at play.

1 Like