Cloud connection lost frequently (today Jul 28)

Hi @ericsonmartin, I am very sorry to hear you’re having trouble here.

I had a quick look at the logs for your n8n cloud instance and its seems your workflow executions require more memory than available to the instance. This ultimately leads to a FATAL ERROR: Reached heap limit Allocation failed - JavaScript heap out of memory error and a subsequent instance restart during which time you would see the Connection lost message you have shared.

Now I can’t look at the workflows themselves, but on a very general level, the factors increasing the memory usage for a workflow execution include:

• Amount of JSON data
  • Size of binary data
  • Number of nodes in a workflow
  • Type of nodes in a workflow (the Function node specifically drives up memory consumption significantly)
  • Whether the workflow is started by a trigger or manually (manual executions increase memory consumption since an additional copy of data is held available for the UI)
  • Number of workflows executed in parallel

To address this problem, there are a number of options, which one is the most suitable would depend on your exact workflows:

1. Increase the amount of RAM available to an n8n instance (this is mostly applies to self-hosting n8n, on n8n cloud this would require upgrading to a larger plan)
  2. Split the data processed into smaller chunks (e.g. instead of fetching 10,000 rows with each execution, process only 200 rows with each execution)
  3. Split the workflow up into into sub-workflows and ensure each sub-workflow only returns a limited amount of data to its parent workflow
  4. Avoid using the Function node
  5. Avoid executing the workflow manually
  6. Avoid scheduling multiple workflows to execute at the same time

This probably wasn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it provides some guidance to addressing the problem.