Copy & Paste not working anymore

Describe the problem/error/question

I cannot copy and paste nodes anymore. When I select one or multiple nodes and press CTRL+C the UI shows the “Copied!” message. However pasting it with CTRL+V does not work anymore (nothing is happening). I also tried to paste the data outside of n8n and it looks like no data gets copied at all.

Is this a known issue?

What is the error message (if any)?

None

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.24.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): PostgreSQL
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): default
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: Ubuntu
1 Like

I am having exactly the same issue. I recently uploaded to 1.24, but might be a coincidence.

EDIT: I run n8n locally on one machine but often access it on another through my local network. I’ve noticed I can copy paste on the host machine, but not when I am on another device.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.24.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): PostgreSQL
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): default
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): npm
  • Operating system: Windows 11

Hey @studioafraz I’m unfortunately not able to reproduce this so far.
What browser are you using?
also, can you share a simple workflow where you are able to reproduce this easily?
perhaps this bug is specific to a certain node :thinking:

I’ve tested this in Chrome and Firefox (no browser addons enabled). It doesn’t work with existing workflows and new workflows. It affects all nodes I’ve checked so far.

The instance is hosted on a machine in the same network and I access it using a different device.

1 Like

It really seems to be connected to accessing it from a different device.

I installed n8n on my personal computer, and on that instance I am able to copy and paste. When acccessing the hosted instance, I am unable to.

mine also has the same issue the copied message comes but when pasting nothing happens see screenshot

Running on version 1.24.1

1 Like

It’s likely that this was introduced in [email protected] because of this change, when we migrated from using the copy-to-clipboard package to the native Clipboard API.
The native API doesn’t allow copying stuff into the clipboard on an insecure context. But, we do have a check to fallback to old-school javascript hackery to make the functionality work on insecure contexts as well, and it looked like it was working because the only insecure context we tested on was localhost:5678, where everything still seems to work.

Can one you please try to put n8n behind a reverse-proxy so that the url starts with an https:// instead?

In the mean while I can look into if we can detect insecure contexts better, but still use the native Clipboard API wherever possible.

1 Like

I’ve created a PR to fix this, and hopefully we can get this out in tomorrow’s 1.26.0 release.

2 Likes

That’s great, thanks for finding the issue!

New version [email protected] got released which includes the GitHub PR 8425.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.