Creating new custom endpoints on self-hosted n8n

Starting from a forked n8n repo, I need to create new custom public endpoints to handle creating new users & workflows. The changes I need to make are obvious based on existing endpoints, from adding the path, “create” function in service.ee.ts, to adding the handler.

However, after creating test endpoints as described or making some changes to existing ones, the API still serves the same responses with no reflection on the changes I made on the PublicApi.

n8n 1.20.0

To open n8n instance I’m running npm run build and then n8n start --tunnel

That’s how I worked for developing custom node successfully, but I’m missing something here. Thanks.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @SALMAN,

How did you make the changes and did you rebuild n8n after making the changes? I can’t see the changes you have made but at a guess the changes may not have been done correctly maybe the api itself wasn’t changed and you are modifying the internal api not the public api.

Don’t forget the code in the .ee. files is for the enterprise / ember licensed features so if you are changing these files it might be worth thinking about if you will require a special n8n license.

1 Like

Actually, my issue was failing pnpm dev or pnpm start due to issues with nodejs versions on my machine. So everything is working fine after fixing it and creating endpoints on PublicAPI as you mentioned.

Thanks @Jon

1 Like