Debugging triggered by another workflow

Describe the problem/error/question

I have a “utility” workflow that I call from many other workflows. Recently, though, it is being called occasionally with incorrect parameters.

How might I figure out what workflow is calling it?

I run a lot of executions.

It would be great if the calling workflow id was a parameter by default. I’m going to go and update my workflows now to do that, but perhaps should be default behavior?

What is the error message (if any)?

N/A

Please share your workflow

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.23.0
  • Database (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): own, queue
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system: Ubuntu linux

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @bcromie,

That is not a bad feature request, Passing in the workflow name / id would make it easier to work out what the parent workflow was.

1 Like

Hi @bcromie

I made a custom node to get this done. I developed it for logging but can also just be used as a generic execute workflow node with some extra options. :slight_smile:

Includes workflow id and Execution id (screenshots are old without executionId, as this was added later.)

1 Like

Thank you both!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.