Divide and Conquer: Running Workflow Segments with Shortcuts in n8n

I’m exploring ways to streamline my workflow execution in n8n by breaking it into smaller segments. Specifically, I’m interested in splitting a complex workflow into multiple parts and executing them individually using shortcuts.

Here are the key points I’m looking to address:

1. Is it possible to divide a workflow into smaller, manageable segments within n8n?
  2. Can these segments be run independently using shortcuts or similar mechanisms?
  3. How can I ensure that data flows seamlessly between the segments when executing them separately?
  4. Are there any best practices or considerations for organizing and executing workflows in this manner?

Any insights, examples, or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• n8n version: 1.27.3
  • Database (default: SQLite): No db was installed with it
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): clicking to execute
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Version 22H2

hello @ege_selcuk

It’s difficult to say without an example scenario/playbook.

n8n has various ways to divide the workflow: Execute workflow node, Webhook node, RabbitMQ/AMQP, app events from various apps, and other ways to work with events.

The Execute workflow node is tied with the master workflow (WF) and it gets the output of the master WF and works with it. RabbitMQ and other message brokers work as external message storage so your sub-WFs can process messages in parallel and do not rely on the master node status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.