Error on starting

Hi dear @jan

Can you help me to solve this problem
This is my error when I start n8n on my server:

C:>n8n start --tunnel
(node:6016) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Error: There was an error: Unexpec
ted token e in JSON at position 105
at Object.error (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\n8n
\node_modules@oclif\errors\lib\index.js:22:17)
at Start.error (C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\n8n
node_modules@oclif\command\lib\command.js:57:23)
at C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\n8n\dist\commands
\start.js:112:22
(node:6016) UnhandledPromiseRejectionWarning: Unhandled promise rejection. This
error originated either by throwing inside of an async function without a catch
block, or by rejecting a promise which was not handled with .catch(). (rejection
id: 1)
(node:6016) [DEP0018] DeprecationWarning: Unhandled promise rejections are depre
cated. In the future, promise rejections that are not handled will terminate the
Node.js process with a non-zero exit code.

Sorry, sadly not the slightest idea.

Did anything change between when it was working the last time and now? Like did you upgrade n8n, updated node.js, your system, …? Anything else you can remember?

After last 5 hour’s of my investigation I think I mistakenly add a dot into n8n file.
It was my mistake.
I’m so sorry.

Really great to hear that you found the solution yourself!

I was already wondering which JSON file it could be. The only ones I could think of were the package.json files and the n8n-config file. Therefore my questions above.

But because I did not imagine that you or anybody would need to hand-edit their n8n-config file I did not even think about mentioning it. Guess is always good to expect the unexpected :wink:

Short question. Why did you make changes to it? Just to know if such problems can be avoided in the future.

No matter what. Did improve the code and display now a helpful error message if the n8n-config file can not be parsed:
https://github.com/n8n-io/n8n/commit/3623828283b2bcd81d23347ed04f55005ee7a060

Will be released with the next version that never again anybody has to waste 5h like that :wink:

1 Like

Hi dear @jan
I’m so sorry for this very delay.
I mistakenly edit that file because I installed n8n with tunnel on my windows server and tried to add user and password on setting file.
Because I’m not expert user I didn’t know in what file I must edit codes.
So as all of them I screwed:sweat_smile:

Ah ok. That explains that.

[email protected] got now released which displays the more helpful error message in that case. So something like that should now at least not happen to anybody else again.

1 Like