Execute Workflow Trigger doesn't accept workflow json

Describe the problem/error/question

I have a “Execute Workflow Trigger” node, I set the source as parameter and input the json of another workflow. It always returns ERROR: Cannot create property ‘id’ on string

What is the error message (if any)?

ERROR: Cannot create property ‘id’ on string

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: n8n/1.26.0 win32-x64 node-v20.10.0
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): npm
  • Operating system: Windows 11

Hey @Aviral_Goel, welcome to the community :upside_down_face:

I also encountered this issue after updating from 1.25.1 to 1.26.0 and found your post while troubleshooting.

I experimented a bit and managed to figure out the solution:

We used to stringify the workflow’s json that we’d pass into the “Execute other Workflow node”. After the update to version 1.26.0, the node started to expect an object instead of a string.

If you’re expression looks like this {{ JSON.stringify($json.n8nworkflow) }}, you can remove the stringify part and write {{ $json.n8nworkflow }}.

If you pass in stringified json from the beginning, you can fix this issue by writing {{ JSON.parse($json.n8nworkflow) }} instead, to turn the string into an object.

It’s a bit annoying that you have to go through every workflow to fix this, but it’s a small fix. I also think this is caused by a bug since the changelog didn’t mention it, and the changes done to the Execute Workflow Node should be unrelated in theory. Maybe someone from the n8n team can clarify :upside_down_face:

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Will need to dig into this but it looks like you might be right.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.