How to access your bucket on an AWS S3 node

This is an explanation of how to use the AWS S3 node.

In the aws s3 node, when accessing s3, if the bucket name contains ". in the bucket name, an error will occur.

If you have a bucket name with ". in the bucket name, how can I access it without error?

Hey @heiheihei, welcome to the community :tada:

I am sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this. Unfortunately, I did not manage to create an S3 bucket with double quotes " in its name. As per AWS’ documentation on this, bucket names can consist only of lowercase letters, numbers, dots (.), and hyphens (-).

Could you share how your bucket was created in the first place, so I can have a go at reproducing this?

It is a dot, not a double quotation mark.

Sorry about the way I wrote it.

I see. Presumably you are getting this nasty error then?

This is somewhat expected from my understanding unfortunately. The AWS documentation linked before says:

For best compatibility, we recommend that you avoid using dots (.) in bucket names, except for buckets that are used only for static website hosting. If you include dots in a bucket’s name, you can’t use virtual-host-style addressing over HTTPS, unless you perform your own certificate validation. This is because the security certificates used for virtual hosting of buckets don’t work for buckets with dots in their names.

So your best bet to avoid any issues with certificate validation would be to create a bucket with a “dot-free” name. I know this probably isn’t the answer you were hoping for, but I hope it still provides some clarification.

The error was exactly the same.
I see, so dots should be avoided.

Understood.
Thank you very much for your kindness.

You are most welcome, sorry I didn’t have any better news here :frowning: