HTTP Node: Different results when using scheduled trigger and manual trigger

Hi,

I’m getting different results when running my workflow manually and with a scheduled trigger.

This is my setup:
I have 3 workflows. The first one has a scheduled trigger which calls the other two workflows via the “Execute another Workflow” Node and passes a date to both workflows.

Manual Trigger

When running the first workflow manually, both “sub workflows” behave as expected.

Response of POST Data node

[
  {
    "ColumnNames": ["value1", "value2", "value3"],
    "Rows": [{"columnValues": ["value1", "value2", "value3"]}]
  }
]

Scheduled Trigger

When running the first workflow with a scheduled trigger, the HTTP node of the sub workflow return no data.

Response of POST Data node

[
  {
    "ColumnNames": [],
    "Rows": []
  }
]

Here are the nodes that deliver a different output.

The data didn’t change, so both should return the same. In both requests the dates have been passed correctly. As you can see in the screenshots I pressed the manual trigger a few seconds after the scheduled trigger finished. The manual execution took 20s and the scheduled 1s.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Hey @renetheastronaut,

Without having access to the API you are using it is hard to say, As a starting point what happens if you set the http request node to output the response headers and response body does that show anything else?

1 Like

Hi @Jon,

I returned the response headers as well.

Response Manual Trigger

{
"headers":
{
"cache-control":
"no-cache",
"pragma":
"no-cache",
"content-type":
"application/json; charset=utf-8",
"expires":
"-1",
"date":
"Thu, 01 Jun 2023 07:54:46 GMT",
"connection":
"close",
"content-length":
"23082"
},
"statusCode":
"statusMessage":
"OK"
}

Response Scheduled Trigger

{

"headers":
{
"cache-control":
"no-cache",
"pragma":
"no-cache",
"content-type":
"application/json; charset=utf-8",
"expires":
"-1",
"date":
"Thu, 01 Jun 2023 07:56:10 GMT",
"connection":
"close",
"content-length":
"40"
},
"statusCode":
"statusMessage":
"OK"
}

Any other idea?

Hey @renetheastronaut,

Nothing that looks like the web server is returning 2 different content types, The only thing I can think of is the requests are somehow different maybe there are multiple input items. Looking at the 2 nodes you shared the Post data is getting data from 2 nodes not in the workflow example so I would probably start looking at that.

Hi @Jon,
I isolated the issue as much as possible. The problem has to be something with the Scheduled Trigger.
I sent static data instead of dynamic values in the HTTP body to test it.

I tested 3 Triggers now. Manually, Webhook, Scheduled. With the Manual and Webhook trigger, everything works fine.

Only when triggering the workflow with a scheduled trigger, the HTTP request doesn’t return any data if I include a JSON body. Without a body, I do receive data. The body is the same in all cases.

I’m running the scheduled trigger in a different workflow now, which triggers the other workflow via a webhook. This workaround works for me now.

Hey @renetheastronaut,

I think as another possible test it would be interesting to see what happens if you send the same data to something like webhook.site to see if there is any difference. If the scheduled trigger was causing an issue with the data being sent or received that would be a massive issue that would need to be fixed but also something others would have reported so I don’t think that is causing the issue at the moment.

2 Likes

I send a POST request to another workflow already, and now I tested it with webhook.site. It worked as expected in both cases. Weird. Let see. I’m going with the workaround for now. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.