HTTP Node - Download file not forwarding binary data

Describe the issue/error/question

When doing an HTTP/POST to malwarebazzar’s API to fetch a zip file, it seems the data is not being added to the binary field. If I use Axios the zip seems to not open right

What is the error message (if any)?

No error, but there are some fields missing on the binary output display

Please share the workflow

Tested with Axios too

Share the output returned by the last node

There is no binary content in the output of the http request, it seems to just be blank, but if I switch to string output it has the content.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.176.0
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): MySQL
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: Worker
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Kubernetes - Ubuntu 20.04 - Containerd

Hey @mwatermolen,

Welcome to the community :rocket:

I have taken a look at this one and I am not able to reproduce it, What I have done though is removed the reset from the split in batches node as it isn’t really needed. In the output I can see I have 19 files in the binary data ready to go.

Howdy @Jon,
Thanks for the welcome!

Thats really odd, are the zipfiles valid if you download them? Possibly a bug in 0.176.0?

It dosent even look like it has binary data on my end

EDIT: Im going to upgrade to 0.178.2 and see if there is any change

Hey @Jon,

I am seeing the same behavior on 0.178.2

Hey @mwatermolen,

How are you checking if there is any data? I used the write binary data node to save the data to disk so I could inspect it and each one looked fine.

Your output is showing there is data there and it is showing the mime type which looks to be correct.

Hey @Jon,

Do the zip files extract for you? (Carefull lol). When we use that first flow with the HTTP node and do a file upload, the sandbox says there was no file submitted. If we submit the axios output it says the zip file is corrupt. I cant seem to figure it out.

Edit: there is no baked in ClamAV or anything on the container possibly?

The extraction didn’t work but at the same time extracting on my docker host also failed because the command line zip tool I have doesn’t support 5.1. When installing 7z that then asked for a password for the archive which we don’t support in the compression node.

That should be working then. I dont even need to decompress it lol. Can I get a copy of the chart you are using and I can try again. This is so odd that it wont pull the file on my end

just tested this flow and still no dice

It does seem to get the data, just not forward it properly

Just fyi, binary data gets received and transferred to the next node:

What happens if you just set the binary property in your upload to just data and drop the file:?

Ok, so with just data same issue.

but I did get this working with Axios by adding responseType: 'arraybuffer',