Interesting workflow doesn't work... think n8n can achieve it?

Describe the issue/error/question

After nearly 100 hours with hundreds of research tabs and dozens of attempts, I’m still not 100% clear on the mechanics of n8n workflows (which could also be hindered by other similar tools I’ve used that require the user to build their own iteration logic themselves.)

Whichever it may be, it’s likely my use case could do with NOT utilizing n8n’s built-in automatic item iteration (as that seems to cause the issues) so as a side question, I’d love it if anyone had any ideas as to how to disable it throughout the workflow?

There is only a couple of nodes that I need to iterate through but I have yet to find out a way to force the index being used (which the flow determines based on other factors) so if anyone knows, that’d be great too.

So to the main question… I’m not sure how helpful it would be to post a full sample as what I currently have is such a mess with dozens of nodes - really just the theory/method would probably help set me off down the correct path.

Below is a very basic representation of the part of the workflow which I can’t get to work. Perhaps one of you lovely people may have some ideas about how to structure it?

Any help whatsoever is deeply appreciated so cheers in advance!

What is the error message (if any)?

many

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: - can probably find out
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): - can probably find out
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: - can probably find out
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: - heroku

Hi @binvius,
I simplified your workflow trying to find the smallest free slot for one (not multiple) events.

In your IF Node eventDuration<=free-slotMinutes I added $item(0) (docs) to the beginning of the expression. Running through many free slot indexes this ensures my event at index 0 is used.

Here is my workflow. To process multiple events you could use our Execute Workflow Node where the first workflow reads out your list of events. You can also checkout our Split In Batches Node with Batch Size=1.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I was meaning to thank you on my other related thread but will take this opportunity here to sincerely thank you for being so kind in providing some pointers. (I’m an advanced user in another similar tool and have consequently spent 1000’s of hours over the years helping others so I hope my n8n proficiency soon reaches a level where I’m able to do the same.)

Frustratingly and despite over 100 hours put into this, something critical has come up so we are forced to temporarily put this on hold for a bit.

Huge thanks once again for being such as decent human being and I hope our paths cross in the future.

1 Like