LinkedIn Post not showing image for URL

Morning @Kam & @djangelic,

Sweet, So from what I understand LinkedIn should automatically pull the information. Looking at the Linkedin changes from back in May last year there was a change that could be causing the issue.

What’s happening: Starting May 31, 2021, for article type posts the description, title, and thumbnail will be set from LinkedIn’s URL Preview of the URL only if the description, title, and thumbnail are not provided from the API call. Prior to this change, each field was set from LinkedIn’s URL Preview if the specific field was not set. If a specific representation of the post is desired, set the description, title, or thumbnail fields, rather than rely on automatic preview. Use the Post Inspector tool to determine what the LinkedIn URL Preview looks like.

Quickly running through what that suggests still doesn’t appear to work as expected so it could be that there is another change or maybe a different API that is needed…

[15 minutes later]

OK while writing this reply and testing I ended up loading VSCode and taking a poke through the code, The good news is I know what is causing the issue now so we can get it fixed.

For the curious it is the issue mentioned above, Even if the description and title field is empty / not set we are sending the options with empty values which was all good until the change last year with the API.

TL;DR: LinkedIn made a change and it caused it to break, We know what the issue is so it shouldn’t take long to get a fix in place.

6 Likes