Lost my workflows after update

Hi !

Wanted to update to latest version of n8n (I was running 1.21.1, now it’s updated and it seems I’m still running on the same version, btw)

What I did :

docker pull docker.n8n.io/n8nio/n8n
docker ps -a
docker stop [id]
docker rm [id]
docker run -it --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -e N8N_BASIC_AUTH_USER=admin -e N8N_BASIC_AUTH_PASSWORD=password n8nio/n8n
docker start n8n

I’ve been prompted to the page where I have to set up my account, of course I put my old credentials and I’m now asked to create my first workflow :scream:

Are my workflows gone forever ?

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.21.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): default
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system: debian

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @Jonathan,

It looks like you have not set the data path, You are also using 2 old environment options that you can remove.

Do you remember what volume you had mapped to /home/node/.n8n originally? If you just copied the examples in the docs it might be -v n8n_data:/home/node/.n8n or -v ~/.n8n:/home/node/.n8n depending on when you first set n8n up (and if you remembered to add this).

If you didn’t add this your workflows would have been in the docker image which you have replaced.

Thanks for the reply,

As far as I remember I used this how-to to install

https://medium.com/@teeppiphat/how-to-install-n8n-with-docker-on-ubuntu-c947a4599688

I didn’t use docker-compose

So basically, I just erased my workflows, right ? :sob:

Hey @Jonathan,

Yeah that is pretty outdated, Looking at that the only time you wouldn’t get an issue would be when you go to use queue mode using the example they have.

I would recommend checking out our install guides as they will help you with this sort of thing: Docker | n8n Docs

So now that my workflows are gone and that I have to start from scratch, you recommend that I do

docker volume create n8n_data

docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v n8n_data:/home/node/.n8n docker.n8n.io/n8nio/n8n

on my Debian instead of what the how-to says ?

Hey @Jonathan,

Yeah that to me looks like a better option and it matches what our “how-to” suggests :slight_smile: What this will do is create a docker volume called n8n_data and the data from that will be mapped in the container under the /home/node/.n8n path which is where we store the database that has everything in it.

When upgrading in the future as long as you use the same docker volume all of your data will be there.