Merge append without empty line

Describe the issue/error/question

With a merge append node, I end up with two elements although only one is in the stream.

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

[
{
"data": 0,
"status_indicator": 1
},
{
"status_indicator": 3
}
] 

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.186.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: main
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: npm

Hi @lublak, that’s unfortunately expected :frowning:

The Merge node will trigger the execution of input nodes connected to it, even if these wouldn’t otherwise run. You might want to leave a vote on the respective feature request to change this in the future: Merge node suggestion: add option to disable triggering of previous nodes

@MutedJam

I can also achieve the same functionality using a function. So it’s not all that important now. But after a long time you still learn something new :smiley:
Apparently I never had the case that there was an empty data stream at a merge node. (maybe I should look over my old workflows, where … never changing a running system :P)
Currently I have no votes left and if I had a vote left it would definitely end up at the oracle db node.
But it’s good to know that I’m not completely stupid, but that n8n just behaves like that.

1 Like

Glad to hear you have a workaround in place. You’re also not the first one to be irritated by this, so I too have my fingers crossed the Merge node will receive an update in that regards :smiley:

1 Like