N8n Appears to keep crashing

Hi
We have n8n installed on AWS EC2 instance with a mysql RDS database.
About 1-2 times a week the website we host n8n on just stops working (white page, no errors). I can’t get to my workflows and none of the workflows run.

After a bit of investigation I’ve found the only way to fix it when this happens is to reboot the RDS (not the EC2).

After a reboot, everything starts working again.

I really need to get to the bottom of this so any help is greatly appreciated.

n8n version: 0.221.2

Hi @mbuk - sorry to hear you’re having trouble with this!

Could you share some logs with us from your AWS instance (with any sensitive information redacted, of course) so we can help troubleshoot this with you? Any information you can share about how you’re using n8n would also help.

Given that a reboot fixes it, my first hunch is this might be related to a memory error - but there’s no way to know for sure without log details :bowing_man:

1 Like

Hi @EmeraldHerald
It’s just happened - here’s the log from the RDS.
We’re sending data to a webhook node from an API. It’s not a huge amount of data though perhaps a message every second or so.

We’re not seeing resource issues either. Low CPU and low connection count.

Would you happen to have any Docker logs (though I am unsure if this is how you’ve decided to implement n8n) or any other log contents you could share? Unfortunately that screenshot doesn’t indicate much without the actual contents of log files.

Hey @mbuk,

Just to confirm on this one, You are restarting the database and not n8n to bring it back right? If this is the case it would suggest an issue with the database and not n8n so it could be worth going through the database configuration and docs as well as just checking the n8n container log to see if it is showing an error being returned.

When the issue happens are you able to connect to the database using another tool, It could be something funky with available ports. It is also worth noting that from v1.0 MySQL / Mariadb will be no longer supported so it could be worth starting to think about a migration to Postgres.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.