N8n As a SAML Client

Hi,

We have some apps with limited API capabilities (they have features we’d like to automate but are only available in the apps’ web UI). And some of these web UI’s allow access only via SAML authentication (via Okta for example).

So I was wondering if there’s a way to use n8n’s HTTP and HTML nodes to log in to a SAML identity provider like Okta in order to get access to that kind of app. I’m not sure if n8n is the right tool for the job or if it’d be unreasonably complicated to implement.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of setup or ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!

Describe the problem/error/question

What is the error message (if any)?

Please share your workflow

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @jzrts,

I have had a think about this and while I know the kind of system you will be using I can’t think of a way to make that work, You could maybe try using something like the http request node to see if that lets you access the page and log in but you will be spending a lot of time in your browsers dev console to see the requests that are being made.

Maybe something like Puppeteer would be an option for this which would let you automate a browser but we don’t have an official node for that at the moment.