N8n is starting up. Please wait after update 2 days and still showing this message, PLEASE HELP!

I just upgrade my n8n to the latest version but it’s been 2 days since he continues with the message: N8n is starting up. Please wait.

I try to downgrade my n8n to a specific version but it’s not working… someone can help me with this, show me a way to get my n8n back?

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @Robert_Tiezi,

Which version of n8n are you running, How do you have it deployed and does the log show anything?

Hey @Jon, thanks for the answer!

I try to downgrade to 0.234.0, i’m using the docker so I just put 0.234.0 directly on the image.

During the update this is the message on the terminal

root_n8n_1 exited with code 1
n8n_1 | License manager not initialized
n8n_1 | Last session crashed
n8n_1 | n8n ready on 0.0.0.0, port 5678
n8n_1 | Migrations in progress, please do NOT stop the process.

Hey @Robert_Tiezi,

Ahh it looks like it is doing the migrations which can take a while depending on the amount of data in the tables and the spec of the machine running n8n.

If you have 0.234.0 running again it might be worth removing older data from the database.

@Jon So this message on the terminal are correct? I just have to wait until the migrations get done?

I’m asking because when I updated to the latest version I waited for 2 days and the message “N8n is starting up. Please wait.” Keep on my screen… So if you sure of my downgrade is correct, I’ll wait as long as necessary for it to work out

@Jon I saw on another topic that could be possible to corrupt the n8n on the migration process, that is true? do you think that my n8n could be corrupt?

Because the message on the terminal is on loop, the same message every time:

root_n8n_1 exited with code 1
n8n_1 | License manager not initialized
n8n_1 | Last session crashed
n8n_1 | n8n ready on 0.0.0.0, port 5678
n8n_1 | Migrations in progress, please do NOT stop the process.

This message apears more than 20 times on the terminal, are you sure that this is working?

Hey @Robert_Tiezi,

It could be that you are running out of space without more information it is hard to say though. I would need to know how you have n8n deployed, which database you are using, What you did to trigger the issue in the first place, what the size of your database is and how much space is on your server.

Hey @Jon,

My n8n was deployed with docker. I use Vultr database. I noticed the issue when I try to update my n8n version to the latest one, I was on 0.234.0 version (very old version, I know). When I updated, my n8n screen just turned blank and the message “N8n is starting up. Please wait” apears. I just waited, waited, waited, waited and after 2 days nothing happen and I still not able to acess my n8n. After all of that I saw that the n8n change the way of update, the recomendation is to update one by one version but it was too late I had already updated. After 2 days I started to search for any information that could help me to fix this situation, I found a topic with the same issue, in the topic one guy say to downgrade n8n version to an old version and after that start to update one by one, so I tried to downgrade my n8n and nothing change. I’m without options and I don’t know if my n8n just corrupt, you get it? How can I know the size of my n8n database? My server have 1GB of memory and 1TB of bandwidth, I don’t know if this is enough to do the update migration. I’m just withouth options, I wish that you can help me with the information I gave

Hey @Robert_Tiezi,

There should be no need to upgrade through each version one at a time and going from 234 to v1 is something that will work.

1GB of memory might be ok depending on the amount of data there is to migrate, I am also not sure what a Vultr database is. Is that MySQL, Postgres or something else? In theory Vultr should have something to tell you the size of the database and the specs of the database instance.

The good news is that if you are using an external database you could stop n8n, connect to the database and delete the execution logs then it should start up almost instantly as there will be no work to do.

Hey @Jon

Thats a good idea, how can I stop the n8n?

Hey @Robert_Tiezi,

It should just be a case of stopping the container or the process you have running.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I had a migration hang because it had filled up my disk.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.