N8n not starting when using security group on EKS

Describe the problem/error/question

I was trying to deploy N8n using helm on EKS. But when I attached the security group to n8n pod, the pod couldn’t start and when I detached the security group the pod can start successfully

What is the error message (if any)?

Loading config overwrites [ ‘/n8n-config/config.json’ ]
2023-10-04T05:02:02.748Z | info | Initializing n8n process “{ file: ‘start.js’, function: ‘init’ }”
UserSettings were generated and saved to: /home/node/.n8n/config
2023-10-04T05:02:02.886Z | debug | Lazy Loading credentials and nodes from n8n-nodes-base “{\n credentials: 347,\n nodes: 439,\n file: ‘DirectoryLoader.js’,\n function: ‘loadAll’\n}”
2023-10-04T05:02:29.337Z | info |
Stopping n8n… “{ file: ‘start.js’, function: ‘stopProcess’ }”
2023-10-04T05:02:29.338Z | error | Error: There was an error shutting down n8n. “{ file: ‘ErrorReporterProxy.js’, function: ‘report’ }”
2023-10-04T05:02:29.338Z | error | TypeError: Cannot read properties of undefined (reading ‘removeAllQueuedWorkflowActivations’) “{ file: ‘ErrorReporterProxy.js’, function: ‘report’ }”

Please share your workflow

(Select the nodes on your canvas and use the keyboard shortcuts CMD+C/CTRL+C and CMD+V/CTRL+V to copy and paste the workflow.)

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.9.0
  • Database (default: SQLite): Postgresql
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): main
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Kubernetes

Hi @strelok29, welcome to the community!

I am not familiar with EKS security groups but I know from experience that the firewalls provided by a number of cloud services can cause quite a bit of headache (not just specific to n8n).

Do you have any kind of logging for the requests blocked by your security group so you can narrow down which request isn’t making it through?

@netroy do you have any idea what might be failing here from looking at the logs shared by @strelok29 above? There doesn’t seem to be anything networking specific, but seeing this problem only occurs in connection with an EKS security group I very much suspect this is what’s causing the problem.

Hi @MutedJam, Thanks for responding. I didn’t set any block rule right now on the AWS Security Group that is attached to the N8n pod. I allowed all traffic. so there is no blocked request on the log.

Forgot to mention, but I am using arm64 CPU

Hm, I am not sure what else might cause the problem then :frowning:

Let’s see what @netroy says. He’s working with AWS on our side, so I reckon he’ll have a much better understanding of their specific tools.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.