N8N on ARM / RPI - Memory Error?

Hello there,

I am trying to get N8N to run on a “pi like” environment (it is actually my NAS). So far everything seems to work - except that I can not start N8N.

Starting it results in:

node@f4cb140c85b8:/data$ n8n
<jemalloc>: Unsupported system page size
<jemalloc>: Unsupported system page size
memory allocation of 12 bytes failed
Aborted

I am trying to find out what the actual error is - but so far I was not able to find a “verbose” option to start N8N - nor any googling the error helped.
Maybe some help through the community?

Additional Information:

• running inside of docker
  • Linux f4cb140c85b8 4.2.8 #2 SMP Tue Apr 6 09:14:59 CST 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux
  • node -v → v15.14.0
  • n8n/0.116.1 linux-arm node-v15.14.0

Hey @Manuel!

Welcome to the community :tada:

I don’t have enough knowledge about this. I think @Tephlon would be able to help :slight_smile:

Thanks! Will patiently wait and am trying to debug on my own in the meantime.

Hey Manuel,

So, as soon as I see something about page size, my brain goes immediately to memory issues. In this case, either not enough memory on the system because it is attempting to start paging to the hard drive or the paging file is not set up properly (e.g. too small a page file, swap partition is too small, or system doesn’t have the right permissions to modify the pagefile).

If you have command-line access to your NAS, check out How to Check Page Faults in Linux which may point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Tephlon

2 Likes

Thanks for your help Tephlon!

I do not really have an answer yet but started digging around and suddenly found that this one docker image is working (GitHub - crazy-max/docker-n8n: n8n Docker image based on Alpine Linux)
Assuming that probably one tiny thing was wrong in the approach I had - I would consider this as solved … even if its not really satisfying to not know what went wrong.