N8N subdomain configuration weirdness..?

Hey,

I just installed N8N for the first time and things basically went well. Setup worked, I can reach the installation on the subdomain I used. So far so good. I installed the Docker version on a Hetzner VPS.

When trying to build my first workflow with a Webhook receiver, the URL i get for the webhook uses the subdomain I used twice.

So n8n.exampledomain.com is what I used for installation and n8n.n8n.exampledomain.com/webhook... is what I get.

# The top level domain to serve from, this should be the same as the subdomain you created above
DOMAIN_NAME=n8n.exampledomain.com

# The subdomain to serve from
SUBDOMAIN=n8n

this is what I had at installation in the .env file. I changed it to exampledomain.com on the DOMAIN_NAME for testing and restarted everything but that doesn’t help.

Not sure what the issue here is but maybe anyone can help me fix it.

Thanks,
Frank

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

  • n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @Helmi,

Welcome to the community :cake:

It would be helpful to see your compose file as well if you are using one but we normally make the WEBHOOK_URL env option up as adding SUBDOMAIN to DOMAIN_NAME so if you updated DOMAIN_NAME to remove n8n. from the start it should be enough to fix it but instead of restarting the container you would need to stop it then start it again so it picks up the change.

Thanks, Jon. Down + up did the trick instead of restart.

May I suggest being a bit more clear in the comment on the example .env file?

# The top level domain to serve from, this should be the same as the subdomain you created above

This is a bit confusing. Not sure why it’s important to split domain and host/subdomain here but “created above” and how can the top level domain be the same as the subdomain? It’s either one or the other :slight_smile:

Maybe a different wording could at least be a bit clearer

# Enter the top level domain part of  your installation only. If your installation should be reachable at n8n.example.com, enter example.com here.

And then “subdomain” is a bit awkward as the next variable too as it’s basically the host name. The subdomain would be the whole “sub.domain.com” thing.

I think that is what confused me. But maybe it’s just me and noone else is having thos issues - anyway, it’s working now.

Thanks a lot for helping,
Frank

1 Like

Hey @Helmi,

Yeah looking at it now I might update them all to just be “domain” and we can use that as one value.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.