Node values are lost when n8n is refereshed

Data from different nodes are required to build the complete workflow. The sample output data is shown in the n8n UI once we execute the trigger. We can reference the same and complete the workflow use case.

If we refresh the screen, all the sample output data of nodes is lost and cannot be used back. Is there any way we can reference the sample output data again? This will be highly helpful in building workflows.

~ Also thank you for creating n8n. :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Ajeet_Meena

Welcome to the n8n community :tada:

I don’t think there is a way to do that right now.

@MutedJam can you confirm?

It is so frustrating to create a business use case without this. Each time we have to execute the workflow to get the sample outputs. This would be really helpful thanks.

Hey all, you’re quite right @mcnaveen, this is not a feature right now. Pinning data is something I’ve seen on our roadmap though, but I don’t have a timeline yet.

As a workaround until this feature exists, you could copy your data and store & return it in a Function node @Ajeet_Meena, like so:

Recording 2022-05-10 at 08.25.19

Here I am copying my Webhook data and then add it to my Function node. This way the data can be retrieved whenever needed without having to wait for an actual webhook to come in.

3 Likes

Seems like a good solution for now. :smiley: Looking forward to the release of this feature.

Also thank you for taking your time for a quick revert.

1 Like

Yes I can confirm that a “pinning data” feature is on our roadmap and has an initial design (so it’s not buried somewhere deep on our roadmap). It will allow you to “lock” (or “pin”) the output of any node and this will persist between sessions for all manual executions. From the sounds of it, this should solve your problem.

This feature will also allow you to edit the output of a node, which will allow:

• To copy the output of a node from a previous execution (i.e. an automated one that ran previously), and paste it in to an open workflow then pin it.
  • To “tweak” an existing node output (pinned or not) to model some other test case. Classic example being you want to test some trigger data but just change one value from true to false (without having to go generate that data exactly in your third party system).
3 Likes

Super helpful :raised_hands:

1 Like