Problem loading credentials after instance update to 1.14.2

Describe the problem/error/question

Hello, we have updated our self-hosted n8n instance to version 1.14.2 and flows have a problem now. Any connection I open or try to edit, closes immediately and I get the following error: Problem loading credential: Malformed UTF-8 data:

Is there something we can do to bulk-restore them or should we add again all connections manually?

Thank you,
Alex

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.14.2
  • Database (default: SQLite): custom postgresql
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker

Same here! I re-started my n8n instance (since I’m having issues with endless running workflows…), when I wanted to log in to my n8n instance again, my password wasn’t accepted. Then I tried to set a new password and got the error message “Malformed UTF-8 data”. So I’m not able to access n8n anymore… what’s the problem here?

I did a migration to a new n8n instance, problem resolved.

Does downgrading to 1.12.2 fix this ?

having the same issue on 1.15.2

1 Like

All credentials are corrupted, we had to recreate each record

How did you migration, export and import credentials?

You can find a pretty nice explanation on exporting & importing workflows/credentials here: CLI commands | n8n Docs

@alexnemes what version were you on before upgrading to 1.14.2?

Yes, this fixed it for me. Anything later than 1.12.2 throws errors with encryption.

Why is this the case? I can’t see anything that was listed as a breaking change in the release notes. How do I go about getting it operational properly on the latest release?