Renaming node bug

My teammate noticed that when he renames certain nodes, it can cause havoc in expressions throughout the node. We happen to have a huge 30+ node workflow (Yes, we can break it down in to separate ones) that got really messed up from several renames.

Here’s his testing/reproducing of the bug: Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software

Hey @Giovanni_Segar,

Thank you for opening a topic and reporting this. There are existing issues with renaming the nodes. This is why we recommend selecting the values (if it’s from the previous node) from the Current Node option.

However, if the node is not immediately preceding, then you may face this issue.

I am tagging @jan for visibility.

The video is super helpful and helps us understand the edge cases. Thank you!

Hi @Giovanni_Segar and Brandon — thanks for reporting this issue and also figuring out how to reproduce it. This is incredibly helpful :pray:

Sounds like a quick fix would be to add quotes around the string to be matched (e.g. instead of looking for set, look for 'set' or "set".

One of our team will look into this.

Hi @Giovanni_Segar

Firstly, thanks for the Video, that was really helpful to figure out where exactly to looking for to fix this thing. I just created Pull Request here: N8N-2551 - Fixed Expression Renaming Bug by SchnapsterDog · Pull Request #2368 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Got released with [email protected]

1 Like