Telegram video thumbnail

Hello guys.
I am using n8n to download videos from multiple sites with yt-dlp and upload them to telegram.
I have created a node to read video with read binary file - send video to telegram and use a thumbnail for video.
the picture is in jpg format and size is under 320 pixels. but when the video is uploaded, there is no thumbnail and its white.

how to set thumbnail for this ?
thanks.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.206.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): default
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: default
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Docker

Hey @rhodesgod,

Are you using a URL for the thumbnail?

no… file path.
i have to use url or telegram file id ?

Hey @rhodesgod,

I think it might need to be a telegram file id, Looking at the code we don’t load any data we just post that string value to the API so maybe the file needs to exist in Telegram first.

I uploaded a photo to channel then used file_id or file_unique_id of the photo in thumbnail box but it doesn’t change the thumbnail.
don’t know what to do

Hey @rhodesgod,

I had assumed that was all that is needed, I will take a proper look this week and see if I can work it out.

Hey @rhodesgod,

Quick update for you, I have just tried to send a simple request using Postman to the Telegram API and it looks like it is failing outside of n8n as well. I have sent a message to Telegram Bot support to find out if there is something missing in their API docs or if it is just not supported, I will let you know when I hear back from them.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.