Timed out-IMAP Email

Hi @Jon !

Just figured out that the outgoing IMAP ports were not set up.

I did it and it immediately solved the problem.

Thanks for your help!

1 Like

That is great news, Glad to hear you have it working now :tada:

Not sure if I should hijack this thread or create my own. But here goes:
I now experience this issue, as well:

ERROR: Timed out while connecting to server

Oddly enough it WAS working before, so the imap node worked earlier today. But now it started giving this error. This is on a Digital Ocean Droplet with the docker setup.

When I run the desktop version on my local machine the error does not come up, with the exact same imap credentials.

Any help on debugging this issue is highly appreciated.

Hey @Jelle_de_Rijke,

Do you have any special routing set up on your Digital Ocean droplet, Did anything change before it stopped working?

Thanks for the swift reply, @Jon! No special routing. I did change the content of the workflow, but not of the imap node.

And the weird thing is that a copy of this updated workflow works fine, on desktop.
I have also just recovered the droplet to a backup of last night. That did undo all of the workflow changes (obviously I have backup those up on my local machine ;-)), but sadly the issue persists.

That is very strange, Did you update n8n at all on the droplet? Just trying to rule some things out, In theory if nothing changed with n8n itself or your workflow settings and it works fine from your desktop the only places the issue could be is either with Digital Ocean or with the mail provider.

Could be worth seeing if you can connect from the droplet using telnet to the mail server and see what happens.

I actually installed telnet to check and found that I was able to connect the the mail sever. And now a few 100km’s away (I travel some for work) I flip open my laptop and BOOM it works again. So a bit strange and hard to understand what was wrong.

But thanks @Jon for all your suggestions. Issue seems fixed until further notice :laughing:

1 Like

That is very odd, I like it when issues solve themselves though :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like