Trying to run on according to instructions Windows 10 fails

This is probably some dumb stuff, but I couldn’t figure out how to fix the issues.
It should be noted, since the build is successful, I can just run packages/cli/bin/n8n.cmd manually to start the server.

Following the steps here

Error upon ‘npm run start’ (after successful build):
" > cd packages/cli && bin/n8n
‘bin’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

Error upon 'npm run dev:
“> VUE_APP_URL_BASE_API=http://localhost:5678/ vue-cli-service serve
lerna ERR! npm run dev stderr:
‘VUE_APP_URL_BASE_API’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.”

Seems like en environment issue and may be something vor cross-env?

@vuchl Thanks a lot! Yes, agree. Looks like it for the “npm run dev” problem.

The “npm run start” one it is probably a syntax issue?!?! Guess it is not windows conform. I am sadly not a windows user so I do not know exactly how to fix it. Maybe anybody out there which does?

So it works if you start it with: packages/cli/bin/n8n.cmd ?

I put in a pull request a fix for the “npm run start”.

As for the “npm run dev”, what @vuchl suggests seems to make sense. I don’t know anything / have no experience with such things, so will leave it open.

@YoniFei, place the env directive before VUE_APP_URL_BASE_API in package.json file. Example:

{
    "scripts": {
       "serve": "env VUE_APP_URL_BASE_API=http://localhost:5678/ vue-cli-service serve",
    }
}

I can’t say why, but it only happens on Windows.

1 Like

Ah very interesting @guilhermeagirardi . So without “env” in the beginning it fails for all windows users? I just tested it on Linux and if I add it, it still works. So if that fixes the issue for windows people and does not make a difference for others I will simply add it.

I can’t tell you if it happens for everyone on Windows, but at least for me it does. I think it is something related to the operating system, because from what I remember, on Linux it is possible to define an environment variable via the command line through the NAME=VALUE directive, on Windows, no, at least this is not the syntax…

It looks like the cross-env package was created to solve this problem, take a look.