UI of workflow editor loads for a very long time on big workflows

Describe the problem/error/question

Ever since updating from 1.25.0 to 1.25.1 something changed with the way the workflow UI is opened. Instead of taking about 3 seconds to open my large workflow (about 200 nodes) it now takes a whole 23 seconds. (this issue persists throughout version 1.27.3 which is what im on).

Update

It seems like pinned data is the thing causing this, after removing all pinned data the workflow loads a bit quicker. There still seems to be something wrong though because I can’t imagine that 1.25.1 had such a substantial change in it

Please share your workflow

I dont think this is needed since it affects all workflows and takes longer the more nodes one has setup.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: Version 1.27.3
  • Database (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): Not sure
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker (Easypanel)
  • Operating system: Ubuntu

hello @JannisCCC

All elements are drawn in the client’s memory. Plus, the pinned data also stored in the memory (when you are trying to see it), that’s why it works slowly. Making such a big workflow is not a good practice and you should refactor the workflow into more smaller ones.

Doesn’t change the fact that it was all working fine before 1.25.1 so I dont think just making the workflow smaller is a valid workaround when something changed past that version specifically

Hey @JannisCCC,

I would say @barn4k is still correct, I would recommend smaller workflows which will be better for memory usage I would also only keep pinned data while testing and remove it if you don’t need to keep it.

I know @milorad has been looking into issues with the UI performance so may be interested in this for his testing.

1 Like

Thanks @Jon and thanks @JannisCCC for reporting this.
We are currently working on fixing the front-end performance but don’t have any concrete timeline for the project that I can share now but reports like this are more then welcome.

The performance significantly decreased from version 1.25.1 (1.25.0 was fine but had other issues)

Im currently on a version of 1.24.0 that had a fix for the wait node not working properly.

1 Like