Using community nodes

How do I use community nodes in n8n cloud?

Hi @Aman_Jain, welcome to the community :tada:

Unfortunately, community nodes aren’t available on n8n cloud yet. Perhaps @sirdavidoff can give an update on the current ETA for this?

Thanks @MutedJam for your quick response and a warm welcome.
How can we access those nodes then? desktop version? If I’m able to access it, is it possible to download the corresponding JSON and upload it to cloud?

Afaik community nodes should come to the desktop version soon, but we’re not quite there yet. For the time being you would need to deploy a recent version of n8n yourself to avail of community nodes.

The easiest way of doing so would be to run the docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v ~/.n8n:/home/node/.n8n n8nio/n8n:latest command (with Docker installed).

While you can copy the workflow JSON between different instances, community nodes would not be recognised by n8n cloud (or desktop) at this point (you’d simply see a question mark instead of the community node).

1 Like

That’s fine if I see a question mark if it works as intended. Also do you have some sort of list of community nodes so that I can check if it’s worth self hosting or not.

Hey @Aman_Jain, the question mark is merely an indicator for a node not available on an n8n instance. n8n will not be able to execute such workflows.

So for now the only option to use community nodes is self-hosting n8n.

I know this isn’t the answer you’re hoping for but it’s the current status :frowning:

Got it . Thanks a lot @MutedJam

1 Like

No worries and sorry for the trouble this might cause

1 Like

Hello @MutedJam

I see that all submissions for new nodes are being rejected with the recommendation to launch as Community Node.

Community nodes are not available on either the cloud or the n8n in queue mode, which is the most comfortable way to use n8n in real production environments.

Is there an ETA so that community nodes can be used in queue mode and in the cloud?

I fear for not being able to have new nodes and at the same time not being able to use a queue to use community nodes. somewhat meaningless.

Thank you so much for the amazing work you do! N8N Rocks!

3 Likes

Hi @luizeof, I am afraid I don’t have an ETA at this point :frowning:

Let’s see if @sirdavidoff can share the current status of community nodes on cloud.