Webhook - Binary to JSON usage in K8s setup

Describe the issue/error/question

We are sending two files to a webhook, one xml and one txt file, using curl.
Testing is working just fine, but when using the webhook in production, it seems that the main process is trying to access the received files on the webhook pod, hence the error.

As per the scalling documentation, N8N_DISABLE_PRODUCTION_MAIN_PROCESS=true is set for Webhook and Main processes. So I’m confused that the execution is mentioning a file located on the webhook pod.

What is the error message (if any)?

ERROR: Error finding file: /home/node/.n8n/binaryData/undefined_0acf7643-d83b-4948-833a-81d8d1bfc5d1

Please share the workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Error: Error finding file: /home/node/.n8n/binaryData/undefined_d9eed5f9-da73-41a9-a1e9-83b28d54c5b8
    at BinaryDataFileSystem.retrieveFromLocalStorage (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/BinaryDataManager/FileSystem.js:143:19)
    at async Object.execute (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-nodes-base/dist/nodes/MoveBinaryData/MoveBinaryData.node.js:319:32)
    at async Workflow.runNode (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-workflow/dist/src/Workflow.js:658:28)
    at async /usr/local/lib/node_modules/n8n/node_modules/n8n-core/dist/src/WorkflowExecute.js:562:53

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.200.0
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): postgresql
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: main
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Kubernetes with one main pod, one worker pod and one webhook pod.

Hi @Romuald_BARON, thanks so much for reporting this and sorry for the trouble.

I wonder if this could be a problem with the filesystem-based handling of binary data. Perhaps @kik00 knows more about this?

Well done @MutedJam !!!
By changing back to default value of N8N_DEFAULT_BINARY_DATA_MODE, issue is now fixed :smiley:

1 Like

Well, I am glad to hear this worked!

It still seems odd the filesystem-based handling causes this kind of trouble though, let’s see what Ahsan says :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.