Webhooks & SSL

Hi,

Please can someone tell me if inorder to trigger a webhook I need a valid SSL certificate?

Thank you!

Paul

Welcome to the community @paul2000!

You mean to trigger a workflow via a webhook node? Then “no”.

Hi Jan,

Ok thanks - the problem I am having is I am trying to trigger the webhook from wordpress. Wordpress is sending the data but the webhook is not collecting it. I have tried both ends in post and get but still not executing. Triggers from browser fine and I have tried both test and production webhook links again with no success. I am using this form plugin for wordpress: Webhook Integration with WP Fluent Form .What would you suggest please?

Is your n8n instance web accessible? So did you set it up with its own domain or is it still using http://localhost/...?

It is web accessible, hosted on vultr.

Are you attempting to connect to a webhook using HTTPS with a self-signed SSL certificate? If that is the case, it is possible that WordPress is expecting a valid certificate but is stopping when it sees a self-signed certificate.

I would suggest testing to see if you can configure it on HTTP first and then test with a certificate.

BTW: I would highly suggest that you get a proper SSL cert as they are free and better security than plain text.:worried: Here is the One-Click WordPress Install instruction for adding Let’s Encrypt on Vultr.

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Tephlon!

@paul2000 apart from what @Tephlon already said. Are you using a proper domain or an IP address? Is less likely to that this is the issue but also possible as some services do not allow that.

Jan, I am using just an IP not a domain name.

Thank you @Tephlon and @jan, I will give the ideas a go!

Hi @jan and @Tephlon, just to let you know the I registered under a valid certificate authority (lets encrypt) and used a domain name and the webhook worked!

Thanks again,

Paul

2 Likes

Really great to hear! Have fun!

Great job, @paul2000! Glad to be of assistance!