Airtable Oauth2 credential setup failing (due to PKCE error with "code_verifier")

Given that Airtable is deprecating their API keys, I was trying to set up new Airtable OAuth2 credentials. When I tried to connect, the credential callback reported this error:

{
  "error": "invalid_request",
  "error_description": "The \"code_verifier\" must only contain characters that are in: [A-Z] / [a-z] / [0-9] / \"-\" / \".\" / \"_\""
}

I see that PKCE support was added earlier this summer (feat(core): Add PKCE for OAuth2 by agobrech · Pull Request #6324 · n8n-io/n8n · GitHub), and suspect that this error highlights a refinement that may be necessary for the Airtable Auth2 credentials to be created.

• n8n version: 1.4.1

Hi @ari, I am very sorry you’re having trouble.

I was able to reproduce this, however, this error came up only occasionally, ~2 out of 3 attempts were successful. So I suspect this is simply a case of Airtable rejecting a character (usually supported by other services implementing OAuth2) in the code_verifier field. Retrying the connection would generate a new code_verifier.

Can you give this another go on your end and let me know if the problem disappears for you as well when retrying?

Interesting. I tried a few more times, and on the fourth time it worked.

I believe the root cause of this issue is [email protected], which removed the ~ character to address a Twitter-specific issue. Relevant discussion about this in PR #6324.

1 Like

Hey @ari,

We also found the same thing and will look at getting it resolved soon.

I am now having the same issue.
I just tried to run a workflow and realised that the Airtable auth was not working. I generated new Oauth, I can connect in the credentials screen but the nodes tell me to check my credential

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.