Built an AI lead triage workflow for contractors: form → Claude → Sheets + auto-reply + emergency alerts

I work in the oilfield trades and kept seeing contractors lose jobs to whoever called back first. So I built this:

  • A form captures the lead
  • Claude Haiku tags urgency (Emergency / High / Normal) and writes a summary and next step
  • It logs to Google Sheets
  • The customer gets an instant reply that mentions their actual problem
  • The owner gets an alert with a tap-to-call button for anything urgent

A few things I learned:

Never trust the AI output blindly. I parse Claude’s JSON in a Code node with a fallback, so if the API fails, the lead still gets logged as “Needs Review” instead of disappearing.

Put rules on what the AI can promise customers. My first version told a customer “we’ll get someone out right away.” That’s a problem for a one-man shop that’s already on a job, so the prompt now bans timeline promises.

Haiku is plenty for triage and costs a fraction of a cent per lead.

Happy to answer questions about the setup. I also packaged it as a template with a setup guide if anyone wants to skip the build: Lead Catcher for Contractors: AI Lead Triage + Auto-Reply (n8n Template)