Can't make a http request under Proxy and PiHole

Hi all, I’m starting to play around with n8n and I think it is great
I’m having an issue with an HTTP request node
using something like
http://akaunting.dev.mydomain.local
I’m receiving

ERROR: UNKNOWN ERROR - check the detailed error for more information
getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND akaunting.dev.mydomain.local
"stack": "Error: getaddrinfo ENOTFOUND akaunting.dev.mydomain.local at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (dns.js:67:26)"

the local domain is accessible through the network thanks to a ngnixproxymanager and using pihole as a DNS resolver

any suggestions?

Hey @Luca_Pierabella,

How do you have n8n running (docker, npm, other)?

That error tends to mean that n8n is not able to resolve the address to the IP, It could be that you are using docker and the docker image is not configured to use PiHole for DNS.

If you log in to PiHole and go to the Query Log do you see the request come in?

1 Like

You are definitely right, as I’m using docker-compose
Is there a quick solution for that and keep using docker-compose

Hi @Luca_Pierabella, welcome to the community!

From my point of view, the quickest solution would be to use the IP address of akaunting.dev.mydomain.local instead of the hostname.

You could also configure DNS in Alpine (on which the Docker image used by n8n is based) as per Configure Networking - Alpine Linux but this would require building a custom image if you’d like these changes to survive the next container re-creation.

(And lastly, you could also run n8n outside docker in which case you wouldn’t have to worry about docker networking.).

for some reason it is not liking it either

Well, we got a response so I’d say that’s one step further even if it’s an error response.

The next step would be to check why the service at that path is throwing a 500 error in response to your request (as this is happening outside of n8n). So I’d take a look into the logs of the application listening at that IP and path to find out what exactly caused the 500 response.

I changed strategy at the end
I added a custom node for akaunting
I will create a pull request for it

1 Like