Comment node [GOT CREATED]

Often I find myself in a situation where I would like to add some information for the “future me”. A few lines documentation about a node or the workflow, so I can for example later remember why I made certain choices, or what the purpose is of certain actions (also useful to avoid really long describing node titles).

The iOS Shortcuts app has a nice feature for this. You can add a “Comment” action to a workflow. A comment “action” does nothing when executing a shortcut. Its only purpose is to add explanatory text in between actions.

So, my feature request would be: a Comment node, inspired by iOS Shortcuts comments, that can be used to add comments to the workflow, but does nothing in terms of input/output.

Hey @werchter!

Welcome to the community :tada:

You can add notes to each node! To add a note to a node, click on the Settings tab. There you can see the Notes text field. If you want to show this note in the Editor, toggle the Display note in flow to true. This will then display the note in the Editor UI!

2 Likes

Thanks @harshil1712 .
I must say I was not fully aware of that functionality. Definitely something to look more into.

I still feed the need though for more support for comments. For example to document the workflow as a whole, instead of only individual nodes.

4 Likes

I agree with you @werchter! You have my vote :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is definitely a useful feature, and something that we have on the roadmap. Stay tuned!

Sounds like you are asking about this:
https://community.n8n.io/t/notes-at-workflow-level/3762/5

I guess I have the same request here, so let me add the comment from my perspective and hopefully it would be the same of original author’s:

• I definitely need a short comment for the workflow as a whole
  • Comment for the node logic, outside of settings (I was looking for this field recently, but didn’t even bother to check the settings tab)
  • Ideally, this comment field to support Markdown, but that’s completely optional; clickable URL support would be of help, though (API reference is of use quite often).

The reason and idea why - it’s because n8n could do quite a complex things and it’s about (from what I see) managing and combining different services logic - so that logic worth to be noted.

Hope this would help to implement this, as that feels like a very essential part of the complex logic workflows.

1 Like

Would like to also be able to add text boxes to the background, nothing to do with nodes. Just like the sticky note. The adding notes to the nodes, truncates long text anyway,

Just started using this and it’s really useful, however long comments can’t be displayed completely, the line gets truncated. Maybe the full comment could be shown when hovering over the comment

Hey @golimarrrr,

Welcome to the community :tada:

If you are using the Sticky Notes you can resize them if needed :slight_smile:

2 Likes