Console.log() displays in shell but not in browser console

I am running n8n 0.108.0 in Docker on my Synology box. I have /home/node/.n8n mapped to a volume outside the container, and data (config, database, binary files) write there correctly.

I am working within the web UI, accessed via my Synology box’s IP on the LAN.

When I run console.log()s within a function, the the log shows up within the Docker container’s shell. It does not show up within the browser’s console or anywhere within the web UI.

Is there a way to make it show up within the browser’s console or the web UI? Needing to be logged into the Docker container’s shell just to look for console logs is a pain.

console.log() in n8n function nodes goes to the server logs (what you’re seeing in docker), not the browser - thats just how it works since the code executes on the backend.

for debugging in the UI, use `return` statements to output data or add a separate node after your function to inspect the output. you can also check the execution data in the workflow - click on a node after it runs and you’ll see all the input/output data in the UI which is usually more useful than console logs anyway.

if you really need the docker logs more accessible, you could set up portainer or just do `docker logs -f <container_name>` in a terminal you keep open