Create custom templates within Docker image

Describe the problem/error/question

Hello, i am tring to create custom templates for my instance for n8n. I am trying to do so within the docker image. But i can’t find how to do so.

I find your documentation not suffecient to understand how to create my own templates.

If you have any link, or any documentation to understand how to do so, it would be perfect.

Thank you in advance !

• n8n version: latest
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): docker
  • Operating system:

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hey @Axel_Schapmann,

You have a few options for making templates depending on what you plan to do.

1. Publish your templates using our creator program
  2. Create workflows locally, Save them and make copies as you need them or use them as sub workflows
  3. Create your own template service which will allow you to see your templates under the templates field in n8n, This is normally used by embed customers.

I suppose the question is how to create a custom docker image. For that you’ll need to create a Dockerfile and build the image from it.

No, i understand how to create a custom docker image.

But what i don’t understand is how to create custom n8n templates within this image, inside Docker.

Your documentation (Workflows templates | n8n Docs) is not really helpful on the subject.

Do you have further documentation maybe or something more explained to understand how to create custom templates inside the docker image ?

Hey @Axel_Schapmann,

You wouldn’t create templates in the docker image, If you were after option 3 where you use your own template service you would need to build your own api service that returns them following the endpoints and responses listed on the templates page.

We don’t have an example service for this as we found different embed customers would handle it in different ways depending on what they currently use in their environment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.