Creating Google Contacts from a Gmail trigger

n8n self host.
I have a form in WordPress that sends a Gmail.

Most importantly is that I add special raw headers to separate the first and last names.
eg
First-Name: Alyssa
Last-Name: Babs
From-Phone: 12345

looking at the data from the Gmail trigger it seems these do not get read in?

Is there anything else I should be doing

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Hi @bally, I am not familiar with the data structure you’re using, but perhaps you can try disabling the “Simplify” option on your Gmail trigger? This should give you access to all mail headers.

Thx the headers have come out now and I can access them
Btw is it a good idea to use headers like this
I’m just trying to transfer from Zapier

1 Like

Actually I have a question about the headers because I have something like

Obs I want the value
“Rawan”

not
“Last-Name: Rawan”

I could say strip the 1st 10 letters of this field but I would have to do it for every single field which would be annoying to say the least. And later I’m going to have multiple of these nodes in different workflows.

What I’m hoping for is that multiple emails come into these triggers and they all create contacts using the name email and phone numbers inside the email headers.
and the only difference is they would be put into different groups possibly and have a different text in the notes

What’s the recommended way of dealing with this?

Big power of n8n is you can use javascript inline to process the data. Con is that there is a learning curve, but it’s worth it!

You can use split here. I use it to get first names all the time. You can split text into a array (list) using a character of your choice. Then you can select the index (place in the list) to actually use. You would use this if you know your value will always be followed by the first space

So you would do {{ $json['last-name'].split(' ')[1] }}. The .split(' ') Cuts the text up at every space character a [1] returns the 2nd item in the array (since arrays start at 0).

.replaceAll('Last-Name: ', '') might also be usefull for you.
{{ $json['last-name'].replaceAll('Last-Name: ', '') }} will also get you where you want to be

I am a little curious why this data is in the header?
Typically data like this would be passed in the body

1 Like

The history of this workflow is that I have a form that sends an email to me.

I used to use zapier to create the contact.

I can’t simply split the name from the email because some people have two first names and some people have two last names. Also I need the phone number which is something that comes from the form.

So zapier had this feature where I could add headers to my email and it could extract them. It was easy enough to add headers from my form for every single field.

First-Name: Alyssa
Last-Name: Babs
From-Phone: 12345

In zapier when you select the field it only gives you the value rather than the whole string including the field.

replaceAll or maybe split at the first ’ :’ and hoping there aren’t more in the actual message {{ $json['last-name'].split(' :')[1] }}

seems to be a clunky way of doing this which is why I wonder if there’s a better way of running this workflow completely.

I tried something like a webhook directly from the form but for some reason it’s not coming through to my self hosted n8n.

This often comes down to either a mix-up in URLs (test vs production - data from the latter only appears in the execution list rather than in the editor in real-time) or the wrong HTTP method (n8n defaults to GET, but many other services use POST). Perhaps you want to check this?

Thanks. I’ve tested with both test vs production inserted “just in case” and changed to GET. So I wonder if it’s some other Issue but since I’m using the synology of Docker I really can’t find the forum to get help for that specifically with n8n.

I tried calling the url using a browser on My mobile phone browser and it’s fine so I don’t think it’s a firewall or something blocking access. The Web Hook also calls other Urls Fine so I don’t think it is that side issue.

And it seems it’s not a combination used by many others here.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.