CSV to Postgres: Is this logic correct? Will upgrading fix memory error?

Describe the problem/error/question

First time n8n user! I’m testing a workflow where I parse a csv file (24500 rows) and insert those into a SQL table. I’m batching uploads to Postgres in 2500 row increments.

I’ve seen that upgrading my give me more memory. I’m currently on the free plan. But I don’t see anything on the pricing page about memory.

So 2 questions:

1. Anything wrong with my workflow?
  2. Will upgrading help me?

What is the error message (if any)?

I’m getting the “might not be enough memory” error.

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.31.2
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Cloud
  • Operating system: Windows

Hey @Darren_Alderman,

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

By free plan I guess you mean you are on a trial, We do have different memory limits for each of the plans but that CSV is potentially large so it could be worth splitting that file into smaller chunks before processing it or seeing if the Starting Line / Max Number of Rows to load will do the job.

You could also put the Postgres node in a subworkflow and see if that changes anything.

Thanks @Jon

Been doing some testing with various variables and the outcome is curious. In most cases, the steps will complete (all the rows get added), but then execution still says it’s working and then it will say error / memory issue.

It seems maybe there should be a node for me to trash the data / file in memory once the final loop is complete so the execution can get marked completed.

For example, here the steps are completed, but it still says the workflow is executing is running:

Most of the time it just throws the memory error, but one time it said the workspace was restarting:

Any ideas? Maybe just add an error handler that resolves the execution?

hello @Darren_Alderman

Actually, the Loop node here won’t be very effective. Try this one
Main workflow:

Sub workflow

@barn4k still ran into memory issues.

I ended up using Coupler for this for now. Really wished I could have gotten this to work with n8n though.

If there was a way to split the CSV up without opening it and keeping it in memory, then do a loop. I think it could work.

Maybe @Jon knows, as I wasn’t able to read a partial file (it goes well for the first iteration, as it has the start row and how many rows to return, but I must access the binary data property each time, and that’s an issue)

I have been thinking about this one and it looks like we could do with updating the node to actually skip some lines so we can read the data in chunks. I thought it was already possible but after playing with it I also had no luck.

1 Like

That would be perfect. They is being able to retain the header row(s) while skipping lines. Something like:

Header Row = 1
Start Line = 501
Limit Lines = 500

Header Row = 1
Start Line = 1001
Limit Lines = 500

Header Row = 1
Start Line = 1501
Limit Lines = 500