Custom node not showing error after update to 0.181.1

Describe the issue/error/question

Hi. I updated to 0.181.1 today.
Now my custom node doesn’t show the error in the output section.
Instead, strangely, the error is getting displayed in the n8n notification dialog.

Whereas, until 0.179.0 it was displaying properly, like so:

Information on your n8n setup

  • n8n version: 0.181.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): Postgres
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: own
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm,, desktop app]: Docker

Hi @shrey-42

What kind of custom node installation do you have?
With an extra node module or node in custom nodes folder?

EDIT: I have checked on a separate test environment. It seems to work fine.
And indeed errors do not show in the output section anymore. Just the Notification dialog.
Not sure if this is as intended. Not really a problem for me at the moment though.

I am for some reason not able to reproduce this issue. But it was for sure not intended.

Please post a simple workflow/node that produces that problem for you. I tested with this workflow:

and there it displays the error for me just fine.

Btw. please always fill the template issue fully in the future @shrey-42 , thanks!

Hi @jan

It seems to only happen with custom nodes.

Might be that the error is of a different type. I will check

Yes, that is possible. Please share how exactly you throw that error. We can then debug and fix.

This should be all @jan If you need more specifics I can share the GitHub Repo with you.

try {
		return await this.helpers.request!(options);
	} catch (error:any) {
		throw new NodeApiError(this.getNode(), error);
catch (error:any) {
				if (this.continueOnFail()) {
					returnItems.push({json:{ error: error.message}});
				throw error;

I believe it’s not just with custom nodes. I have the same problem, in google spreadsheets node

Hi @Rodrigo_Barbosa, sorry to hear you’re having trouble here. I just gave Google Sheets a Go on my end and could see the error just fine on the node, both for manual and production executions:

Could you confirm how to exactly reproduce the problem you’re having with Google Sheets?

Just for completeness sake, I was able to reproduce this using the MySQL node following this error report using the below workflow:

I’ve flagged this internally and will of course report back once I have an update.

Thanks a lot. Got issue got fixed and will be released with the next version.


I am using version 0.181.2 when the error does not appear in the data

In Google Sheets details the following error appears


apparently it’s like the node can’t pull data from a previous node

when returning to version 0.179.0 the problem was fixed


As I mentioned above will it be released with the next version which should be ready within the next 30 minutes.

Got released with [email protected]

1 Like