Docker run command with tunnel enabled on WIN

Hi there,

Trying to run docker instance with Rancher Desktop on Windows 10 enterprise, but i cant enable n8n with tunnel command. it seems command is not found… any hints on crappy win :stuck_out_tongue:

docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v C:\Users<my windows user>.n8n:/home/node/.n8n n8nio/n8n n8n start --tunnel

Error: command n8n not found

I managed to get it working using docker compose and yml file but the tunnel is contanstly changing (works once to login to admin UI plus testing webhook listener, then getting 404/408 errors as tunnel is down or buggy). Any thoughts ?

Many thanks :slight_smile:
Julien

Hey @jdelomenie,

Welcome to the community :raised_hands:

We only recommend using the tunnel for testing, but to answer your actual question try the command below.

docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v C:\Users<my windows user>.n8n:/home/node/.n8n n8nio/n8n start --tunnel

@Jon Thanks for the speedy reply, much appreciated :slight_smile:

Now, I’m getting a new error, seems related to chown issue on the local dir…

docker run -it --rm --name n8n -p 5678:5678 -v C:\Users\julde\.n8n:/home/node/.n8n n8nio/n8n start --tunnel

any thoughts to fix it ?

Error: EACCES: permission denied, open ‘/home/node/.n8n/config’
Code: EACCES

Moreover, seems the tunnel option is not persistent…
I ran the container without volume mounted, tunnel works couple of minutes, then getting 408 error…

If you can assist for volume privileges issues as well as the tunnel down issue, it would help :slight_smile: Espacially to test some callback URI for Oauth2 setup with some enablers :slight_smile:

pb solver with proper volume attached to the yaml config, and no tunnel option but proper public exposition for n8n instance with webhook_URL :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey @jdelomenie,

That is the better solution as the tunnel is only intended for testing and if n8n crashes or restarts a new tunnel url will be provided.

The other message looks liken old permission issue, Did you upgrade from pre v1 to v1 maybe?

Hello @Jon

BTW many thanks for the warm welcome in the community :raised_hands:

I finally managed to get n8n self-hosted on my local rancher, combined with traefik for HTTPS reverse proxy. Much better as planning to use HTTPS callback for all Oauth2 authN with SaaS apps I’m testing (SF right now).

I just had to adjust couple of UNIX paths in yml file as my rancher desktop is not Windows (crap) and need to fix for instance the socket that Docker daemon is listening to :wink:

Cheers,
Julien

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.