Does Community Edition have limitations on functionality? What options are included in this edition?

I deployed n8n on my host using docker compose. I create Credential - MongoDB and there is a Sharing menu- it says that I can share this credential with others only if I buy some plan. Also, for example, LDAP option is only available for Enterprise plan.
It turns out that n8n is not really free software or not free at all.

Is it possible to remove these restrictions and use all features for free?

If not, where can I see what options/restrictions are included in the Community Edition?
I don’t see Community Edition on the edition comparison page, only Starter, Pro and Enterprise - https://n8n.io/pricing.

It looks like your topic is missing some important information. Could you provide the following if applicable.

• n8n version:
  • Database (default: SQLite):
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main):
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):
  • Operating system:

Welcome to the community @MinistrBob!

That is how most open-source (in our case, fair code) companies operate these days, and it is called open core. After all, do our employees also expect to get paid and so we have to make money. This means we can not give away 100% of the product for free forever (we did so the first 3 years the company existed). In the last year, we started to create many features aimed at larger organizations running n8n in production, and those features are paid. So you are partly correct. Even though we still give probably 90% of the value away for free, we do not give literally everything away for free.

So, to answer your question: No there is no way to remove all restrictions and use all features for free.

Regarding what is available for free and what not, I answered recently also here:

I agree, we really should add a list somewhere on our website to make that clearer.

I hope that answers your question.

1 Like

Jan, thanks, that makes it much clearer :slight_smile:

Glad to hear. If you have any other questions regarding this, I am happy to answer them.

Generally, we have to find a good balance between providing as much value for all users for free and, at the same time, being able to build a sustainable business. Only like that can we be sure to be able to support and improve n8n in the long term. That is honestly not always easy, and we will for sure not always get it to 100% right but I can promise you it will not be because of a lack of trying.

Have fun!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.