Don't understand Wait or Respond to Webhook documentation

Describe the issue/error/question

I’m trying to do something what I thought would be simple: Post a slack message with the {{$execution.resumeUrl}} so that I can click it and then the workflow would continue…

I look at the docs for ‘wait’ and webhook which don’t look anything like the webhook nodes I have so I’m starting to become frustrated with it and the wait webhook documentation.

I just don’t understand why my own implementation of it will do at least 1 of the following.

1. If I have a webhook node at the start - It hangs waiting for the trigger … which ok I sort of understand that… So I deleted that node from my workflow and replaced that with a standard start click node … eventually I will replace it with a cron starter, which will check my email.

2. If I do my workflow the way I think it would do the job, it sends me a slack message with the url to click … and then it doesn’t WAIT … instead it rolls onto the next bit of code which sends me another slack message which indicates that it’s completed… but the UI shows it waiting … Clicking the URL in slack it says … the flow has already completed… I thought maybe slack is trying to preview the message url which is why it’s continuing ?

3. If I modify the WAIT for webhook and give it the option of ‘suffix’ - the Wait appears to actually WAIT … but the click of the URL says

{"code":404,"message":"The execution \"45\" with webhook suffix path \"\" is not known.","hint":""}

What is the error message (if any)?

None - or depending on suffix used

Please share the workflow - just an image for starters…

I should have added I’ve tried moving the nodes around with frustration but it still ends up the same … it completes the execution but doesn’t do the functionality I was expecting …

Share the output returned by the last node

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 0.202.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]:
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: Docker

Ok I think I’m getting somewhere with my workflow.

I’ve swapped out using Slack to ‘Post Webhook Url’ node for MS-Teams messaging and sure enough - Slack is trying to preview the {{$execution.resumeUrl}} URL message and so auto causing the response, before I get chance to click on the link.

To help others and keep this as a reminder to myself :slight_smile: , I found the option to stop slack unfurling the link… by making sure the ‘Unfurl Links’ option was not enabled in the sending of the message

1 Like

Looking at the workflow I don’t think you need the respond to webhook node where it is either.

Indeed - I removed the ‘respond to webhook’ eventually and that also helped me understand what was going on. That it was just a Slack Node issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.