Dynamic Dropdown Options in n8n Form Trigger

Describe the problem/error/question
I’m trying to dynamically populate a dropdown in a “Form Trigger” node with project names from Asana using the “Get Many Projects” node. However, since the “Form Trigger” is the initial node, I’m facing challenges in pre-populating the dropdown options dynamically.

What is the error message (if any)?
No error message, but I’m stuck on how to approach this.

Please share your workflow

Share the output returned by the last node

The last node successfully generates the dropdown options in the expected format (label and value), but I can’t get these into the “Form Trigger” node.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 1.30.1
  • Database (default: SQLite): SQLite
  • n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (default: own, main): own
  • Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app): Docker
  • Operating system: Ubuntu

Hey folks! :star2:

I’ve hit a snag trying to dynamically populate a dropdown field in my “Form Trigger” node with Asana project names. The catch is that since the “Form Trigger” is the start of the workflow, I’m not sure how to pass the project names from the Asana node to this dropdown.

Has anyone managed to crack this or found a creative workaround? I’m all in for trying out your suggestions or any clever tricks you might have up your sleeve.

Thanks in advance!

hello @Edouard_SIMON

Well… I think the only possible way to do so is to use the n8n node and Update Workflow operation.
The simplest solution would be to move the Form Trigger node into separate workflow that will have two nodes:

• Form trigger
  • Execute Workflow (points to the workflow with the AI model)

In the AI workflow you will need to replace the Form Trigger with the Execute Workflow Trigger.

And you will need the third workflow with Asana and n8n nodes that will update the Form Trigger workflow with actual form data.

Thanks for your help.

I am not sure how this can work. I am not familiar with Execute Workflow nodes.

Do you mind sending a sample Workflow i can copy paste ? Just the 2 needed to dynamically fill out the form dropdown.

the idea is to split one workflow into smaller. Like this.
Workflow with AI

Workflow with the Form

Workflow with Asana node that will update the Form WF

You will need to create the n8n API key in the n8n settings and save it as a credential. Plus execute the n8n node with the workflow ID of the Form Workflow

btw @Jon , do you know why the n8n node through an error with the JSON?

Everything is working fine with HTTP Request node