Error: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN when hitting an "execute workflow" node

Hey Folks,

I have a workflow that should pull a page of data from an API(100 at a time, payload is fairly large due to large objects). Then execute another workflow on each of those items. The inner workflow calls the API again to check a value, then sends a patch request to update the original item. After anywhere from a few thousand items to 30k items the workflow halts on the “execute workflow” step.

here is the error received
{“status”:“rejected”,“reason”:{“message”:“getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN mydomainname.com”,“name”:“Error”,“stack”:“Error: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN mydomainname.com\n at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.onlookup [as oncomplete] (node:dns:109:26)\n at GetAddrInfoReqWrap.callbackTrampoline (node:internal/async_hooks:130:17)”,“code”:“EAI_AGAIN”}}

I have received other errors but did not record them, will add if I see them again after more test runs. It seems like it could be an error from the API(maybe a rate limit or the server just being overwhelmed) but I can’t see specific execution data for the nodes inside the called workflow. Hoping I’ve made a mistake somewhere because otherwise the performance of this workflow has been stellar. I have added a 1 second delay per iteration to help ease the load in case that’s it to no avail.

Information on your n8n setup

• n8n version: 206.1
  • Database you’re using (default: SQLite): default
  • Running n8n with the execution process [own(default), main]: default
  • Running n8n via [Docker, npm, n8n.cloud, desktop app]: cloud

Welcome to the community @Colin_Johnson!

If you preform a lot of requests that is sadly expected to happen at some point. Here a StackOverflow poar about that. We probably should add a cache at some point.

Anyway, that said, is that actually quite easy to fix by activating “Retry on Fail” underneath the node settings:

2 Likes

Hey Jan!

Thanks for the quick response! I saw that thread as well but wasn’t sure if that was the whole story in this case, glad to have confirmation. Didn’t know about the retry option though, running a test now with some retries enabled.

Loving n8n so far, thanks again for the help!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.