Error reporting only ever gives a "stack error"

Describe the problem/error/question

I’ve used n8n for years, and it has always given totally useless “stack errors” that look like the picture below. When I produce the same http request in say curl, or insomnia, I get a proper error message that I can do something with.

Is there something I’ve got configured incorrectly? I’ve tried reinstalling before with other OS etc and it’s always the same. Makes developing difficult.
Thank you in advance.

What is the error message (if any)?

see picture.

and this is what Insomnia gives me for precisely the same error.

Please share your workflow

all workflows since I’ve been using n8n

## Information on your n8n setup
- **n8n version:**   latest
- **Database :**   postgres
- **n8n EXECUTIONS_PROCESS setting (main):**  main
- **Running n8n via (Docker, npm, n8n cloud, desktop app):**   docker
- **Operating system:**   ubuntu 22.04

Hi @davidbamboo, to be completely honest with you I have no idea why we have implemented this change. I’ve asked internally for clarification as I too find this rather irritating.

Perhaps you want to downgrade to 0.221.2 for the time being? This version of returns the full error message on the HTTP Request node:

The current latest 0.222.1 on the other hand does not:

Hi @davidbamboo, looks like this was not an intentional like I initially suspected. We’ll get this fixed and confirm once done. In the meantime you might want to downgrade as suggested in my last post.

1 Like

Hey @MutedJam , thanks for the reply. I see that a fix has been merged.

However, I wanted to emphasize that especially dealing with AWS apis like SES, the text in red is especially unhelpful, and below it just gives a stack trace. I wonder if that is because AWS errors are kinda useless :rofl: and unfortunately I have to deal with them so often that I attribute it to n8n?

I suppose my wish would be that I don’t have to keep duplicating queries in insomnia or postman so that I can get adequate debugging. It would be really nice to do it all in n8n…

Hey @davidbamboo, as mentioned this change wasn’t intended. Once a fixed version is available, you should see the full response in the “Cause” section again, just like in previous n8n versions.

New version [email protected] got released which includes the GitHub PR 5959.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.